Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Feels Like Home...

One of the first things we did when we went home to the States last summer was head to the beach... We took a 4 day vacation with both sides of the family (I'm sure still jet lagged) and went to Port Arkansas, TX... WHY? Some of you may be asking or did ask us would we want to go to the beach when we have access to beaches on our side of the world?

This is a VERY Diverse answer coming from me, a woman who usually ends up sitting on the beach, watching Randall play with the kids in the water...

Let me amuse you/paint a picture for a minute of what its like to go to the beach over here:

Most women are usually covered from head to toe.. so their skin isn't showing except for maybe their faces... At the beach, one of the most non-modest places to go, it is very typical for a family to spend time there.. BUT the Father and the children play in the water because it is culturally appropriate for them to show skin and wear swimsuits in public... And the Mother stays on the beach, usually sitting on a mat of some sort, with her coffee or tea and watches... sometimes uses this as a social event if other women are around to chat with.

Yes, we are American and come from the "western cultural" where the beach is "free game"... anyone can wear whatever they want (or think they look good in) at the public beaches and usually more skin is showing then less...

So over the course of the past 4 years, I have often found myself stuck between 2 cultures... how do I feel comfortable in my own skin? I have spent a lot of time pondering this idea.. Why? Because I want to dress appropriately and not offend anyone or give them a reason to stare anymore then they already do (because we are usually the only white folk around)... And yet, I still want to dress my age, look like a real woman, feel good about Who my Creator created me to be.

So... Yes, we went to the beach in TX about 4 days after landing and we played on the beach and in the water and I wore a swimsuit that showed my legs and my stomach too! And it was definitely weird at first... but once again, I adapted to the cultural and found myself asking "Do I feel comfortable in my own skin?"


So last week, we went to the beach as a family and I sat on the beach, under a little tent to keep cool from the blazing sun, and I watched Randall play in the water with the kids... I heard the sweet laughs and witnessed the fun they were having! I took pictures from all angles to capture the memories... and I quickly realized... I was exactly where I was meant to be... with my family... in a cultural that is not my own... but you know what? I felt comfortable in my own skin... 


Its taken nearly 4 years to figure out where I fit in as a woman, how do I dress, how should I fix my hair, do I wear make-up, if so, how much, what do I do when our family wants to go to the beach.... And even though this may not be an issue or even of the norm for some of you reading this... it is a HUGE accomplishment for me to have clarity and a peace as we continue on our journey overseas...

So as you can see... Morgan and Micah wear their swimsuits without question, Randall swims freely in the ocean... and I... enjoy the view and take in the smells, the sounds and the feel of sand between my toes...and capture the moment. I love the beach! I will always love the beach, no matter what country we are in... But sometimes it just takes on a different shape and a different meaning.... But it always feels like home to me.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz! What a great post!! Thanks for sharing your heart! As you know, when we go to the beach here, it is where I wear the least amount of clothes (capris and a t-shirt). I'm like you, I've had to find a balance between feeling comfortable and respecting the culture in which we live. I like to sit on the side lines and watch the kids enjoy the water and sand.

Alison H said...

Excellent post!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you all enjoy the beach in different ways. Miss you all very much especially as summer approaches and school will be out soon! Without being around our children and grandchildren, many times I wish school was year round so I can keep myself busy. Love and miss you all very much!!!

Rachel said...

I love this post! What a great place to be, at peace with where you are and the role He has you in! I love that you just got to sit back and watch all that He has blessed you with! Love you guys!