Monday, November 17, 2014

Running the Race

Most who know me (Liz) know that I've been a runner for most of my life. Its something that I do not only to stay in shape, but to relieve stress and to think out things that are going on in my life (at the time)... which could be causing the stress. :) 

But over the years of growing up and maturing in my faith, running has served as a form of discipline as well as a time for praying and talking things out with God (in my head at least).  Since living overseas, I have ran in 9 different countries... and in all 9 countries, running has been different... (desert, cold weather, hills, flat, rain, beach, shorts, long pants.... normal for women to run outside & not normal for women to run outside) But the one constant is: the act of Discipline.

And then we moved to Jordan this past summer and I was asked by a friend if I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon with her...  It didn't take long for me to say YES because a 1/2 marathon was something I've wanted to do & accomplish for quite some time. I've even trained for a 1/2 marathon before but didn't actually run the race due to other circumstances... 

And so it began... Discipline at its Finest...
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get that prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that all not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:24) NIV
Sunrise Runs...

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, esp the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith." (Hebrews 12:1-2a) NLT
Hill Runs...

3.5 months later of intense training... running 5-6 times a week anywhere from 2-11.5 miles... sometimes alone, sometimes with my friend... Race Day was upon us!

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)


"Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it on my own. But one things I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14) ESV


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the good faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8) NIV




And just like that... the 13.1 Miles was done... I like to say 21K... it sounds so much further! :)

During the race, we were passed by faster runners, we saw people stop to walk (so we passed them), we saw those who were handicapped in some way racing among us, even 2 blind runners who had to have an assistant run with them, guiding them... trusting them (that was probably the most heart felt competitors for me)... and we all crossed the finished line at some point... enduring the miles, the heat, the last up-hill and the discipline of it all.

Training and Running in this 1/2 Marathon served as a picture of what this life is all about... Running the Race, enduring hardship, celebrating the joys and doing it all for the glory of God. 

P.S. running in the distance races is in my blood now... hope to train for another race in the near future :)



No comments: