Friday, June 18, 2010

A Typical "Sunday" Morning...

(When we say a "typical" Sunday morning, we are talking about Thursday afternoon on our way to house group a.k.a. church)

So picture with us what a typical Sunday morning is like for a family with 2 young kids trying to get ready to go and be on time (for once). Its normal to have a little chaos either in the house or in the car (perhaps you left something at home and are already half way there or you suddenly remembered it was your turn to bring the donuts for Sunday School Class, etc).. you've probably been there, done that... But as soon as you walk in the doors... you immediately turn on the smiles, shake hands with everyone and pretend that you've just had the best morning ever! We've all done this at least once (maybe twice), right?

Well, this past Thursday the kids and I (Liz) had one of those "typical Sunday mornings"....

Randall was gone and therefore I did the "single parent" thing. It was around 4:30 p.m. and we try to leave by 4:50 to be on time. But for some reason, this Thursday was just not my day. Morgan (as usual) needed to use the restroom last minute, but didn't make it to the toilet on time (and you know where this is going).. had an accident all over her legs, the floor, her shoes and the bottom of her dress. And at the same time I was cleaning up the mess, Micah walked in and nearly fell because the floor was wet. So then I had 2 kids who smelled like urine and everyone needed new clothes.

Then after both kids changed clothes and the bathroom was clean "enough" to leave, Micah had his turn to use the restroom, but at least he had a diaper on and that was the only thing that had to be changed. At this time it was nearly 4:45. I was ready to walk out the door when I realized I couldn't find Morgan... She was in the kitchen getting herself some water and of course, half of it spilled on the floor and she tried to clean it up herself (such a big helper). So accident #2, I cleaned up once again.
Round #2 of trying to leave and be "on time" and then Morgan realized that the shoes she wanted to wear were dirty because she had had her first accident on them... so she threw a fit and wanted me to wash them so she could wear them. At this point, I was not sure if it was even a good idea for us to go to house group because my attitude turned from good to not so good.

Finally I talked her into wearing another pair of shoes and so out the door we went (4:55).. not too bad. We got in the car, everyone in their seats, sweating because its over 110 degrees outside and what did we forget? Micah's diaper bag (which is a must)... so being the over protective Mom I am and being alone (without Randall), I did not feel comfortable leaving my kids in the car alone in 110 degree weather. So, I toke everyone out of their seats, drug them upstairs to our apartment, grabbed Micah's bag and we're all in the car again at 5:00.

Thankfully, my kids were in good spirits by this point and we turned up the iPod and jammed to some fun music as we drove to group. And when we walked in, we turned on the smiles, shook hands, and despite the challenging events that took place prior to getting there, we were received by warm smiles and genuine people. We were so thankful we ended up going and were blessed by our time there.

A Typical Sunday Morning!

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Thanks for sharing. Yes...I've been there too. Glad you ended up making it and enjoying your time. :)

The Petty's said...

Yes, it is a challenge...but you did it.

Grammy said...

I have felt these same feeling when Randall and Natalie were little but oh how the time flies and before you know it they will be getting themselves ready and driving thier own car to church!
Enjoy the moments...even if they seem crazy at times.

Aunt Natalie said...

Wow that story right there is a little birth control for me!! Sounds too crazy for me right now!!
Love yall!

Krsitin said...

Way to go! I remember those times. God Bless you and keeping a cheerful spirit.
The Gharst Family