Thursday, July 28, 2011

Time, Patience & Consistency...

As most of you know Micah is 2.5 y/o now and we figured that our time of transition has come to a pause for now... now that we moved countries and set up our new home. So, something I've (Liz) been dreading from the moment I heard "It's a boy!"... POTTY TRAINING!

Morgan was easy, she's a girl, I'm a girl, she was ready, I was ready... I knew what I was doing... haha! But then trying to prepare to train a little boy is a whole another thing! Especially a boy who is (or was) very comfortable in his diaper. But thankfully a good friend decided to start the same process with her daughter and sent me a great ebook: "3 Day Potty Training: Start Friday, Done Sunday!" By Kaylee Collins (3daypottytraining.com)

And here is what our past 3 days have consisted of:
Micah in a shirt only (either Thomas the Train or Lightening McQueen Cars) & Big Boy underwear: Have many pairs on hand! No time to do laundry in the 1st few days!

We even broke out the play dough, which I'm not a fan of.. hate the smell, but he loves it!

Of course, there's always the ipod that keeps his attention!

Lots of Mommy and Me Time!!!

Liquids are a must!!! In various forms: homemade popsicles (Thanks to Joyce for the containers!)

Of course juice in his regular sippy cups... notice the living room furniture is pushed back and we broke out the plastic chairs...and pulled up all rugs (just in case!)

And the things driving Micah's Success: Yummy Rewards! The first day we did 1 jelly bean for just sitting on the potty and 2 jelly beans for going pee; Days 2-3: 2 jelly beans for pee, M&Ms for poo (yes a little too much info, but there may be a parent reading this, preparing to train their little one)...

And the most important part of this post: Rewards for the Trainer!!! A Must Have! Especially after staying in the home at Micah's side for 3 days...But its been totally worth it as Micah has caught on so quickly and after the 1st day, has only had 1 accident and is verbally communicating "Potty!" to us. I guess he really was ready, it was me that wasn't. So if you're reading this feeling anxious or nervous about training your little one, don't be. It takes time, lots of patience and CONSISTENCY!!!

Now all we need to do to test it out, is leave the house! Yikes! Another post for another day!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Great job Liz!! You guys did it!! Glad he caught on so well, that is a very good thing and makes for a happy mommy!!!

Natalie said...

Good Boy Micah!! I bet you (Liz & Randall) are glad the worst part is over with for now!!

Anonymous said...

Yea Micah!!! That is awesome! Way to go all of you!!! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow and I am sure you are ready to get out of the potty training cave!!! Ha ha, love the Dr. Pepper and Cool Whip idea!

Clayton Bullion said...

Great job!

Grammy said...

Grammy is so proud of you Micah!!!
You sure look cute in your "big boy" underwear!
Love and Miss YOU so much!
XOXO

The Petty's said...

So proud of all of you. A major accomplishment....Now the baby is gone and onto the little boy....more adventures for all.

Love,

jp

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! My nephew will be 2 in a month, so I'm going to pass this info along when my sister starts with him!


- Chessa