Clean Eating.. Paleo... Gluten Free... Atkins... South Beach...
Sound Familiar? Look Familiar?
It should. WHY? Because these diets or "way of eating" is EVERYWHERE!
It seems like all I see advertised on Facebook, Pinterest, Google, TV, etc is how to get skinny, how to loose weight, what to eat, what not to eat... I'm not saying that being healthy is a negative thing because I'm certainly into my health and the health of my family. But when it gets to the point that one can't enjoy eating or even cuts out entire food groups just to "get to that ideal weight or body shape"... then for me, I have to draw a line.
But here's the thing, I've tried a lot of the above mentioned diets and have been on a rollar-coaster with my eating habits over my adult years and I'm only 31, almost 32 y/o! And the thing that I've concluded is that it is all about a BALANCE.
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)
Because we live overseas, I have learned to cook with mostly fresh ingredients and have really ruled out a lot of processed foods. Mostly because we can't get them here or they are ridiculously expensive!
For example, I don't buy canned beans, I buy dried ones, soak them, boil them and use them in whatever recipe I need them for. I don't buy canned tomatoes for my salsa, soups, spaghetti sauce, etc.. I buy fresh ones and use my food processor if I need them chopped or pureed... I don't buy peanut butter anymore, I buy plain, unsalted peanuts and roast them myself and add my oil and control the salt amount and make my own natural peanut butter in the food processor. These are just a few examples.
The point is, eating healthy takes time. And although I appreciate the ready-made meals and foods that are out there... because they do save time. I would rather know what I'm putting in my body and feeding my kids... and skip all the additives and preservatives that keep those foods on the shelf "life long". Most of the food I buy goes bad within a week... All that to say, I'm not the "Queen" of "Perfect Eating" or even have the "Perfect Body" but I am healthy, active, can certainly keep up with my busy 5 & 7 year old and Love the Lord.
"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
(1 Corinthians 6: 19-20)
Here you go my friends... I started meal planning and sticking to this balanced way of eating... and we definitely are not starving from it and are not cutting out entire food groups... we even have the occasional cookie or ice cream... just not every day! (keep in mind, that I don't always stick to the exact food that is on this plan, but I do try and make sure each meal/snack has a balance with food types)
Here are a few samples of some of the food we eat:
Quinoa Fried Rice... YES Please!
Grilled Chicken Salad with Feta Cheese & Light Vinaigrette
Rolled Oats (Oatmeal) with homemade PB & a Banana and Egg White Omelet
(I think I always skip the morning snack when I eat this... it makes me so full! But they say its good to eat your calories in the morning!)
Baked Homemade Chicken Strips... almond powder as the crust, Broccoli & Couscous
Turkey Sandwich... nothing too exciting here, but still balanced and one of my favorites!
Leftovers: Brocoli, Boiled Egg, Mushrooms & Couscous... my own made-up "fried rice"
Mexican Pizza on a Homemade Wheat Tortilla
Strawberry, Banana Protein Shake (no sugar)
And of course... EXERCISE... weights, running, walking, insanity, P90X, yoga
I usually exercise 5 days a week 45-60 mins per time
Again, I can't stress the importance of a BALANCE... God made food to enjoy it... so that's exactly what we do.. with portion-control in mind! Please feel free to leave a message or share some of your favorite recipes. I'm always looking for new ideas! Or email me: mcqueenliz@gmail.com if you want any of the recipes or tips on finding the right balance for you.
Thanks for stopping by!










2 comments:
I totally agree- all those fad diets, new ways of eating totally stress me out because they are just not do-able over here!! Balance and moderation are totally the keys! I couldn't really read the meal plan even when I clicked on it- could you send it to me in an email or something?
Yummy! Love all the pics of the foods you are making, need to try that Pizza!! Also that chicken looks amazing! And you know I am a fan of sandwiches!!! Question, with you making so many foods and such, do you find that it costs more? I always feel like if I ever want to eat healthier it will cost more, true or not? Love you guys!
Post a Comment